info

Dear guests,
You are currently on the old forum we kept as a knowledge base. You will find the new community forum here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: Multi lingual newsletters

Multi lingual newsletters 10 years 9 months ago #900

• Anonymous user
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through the various post regarding multi-language configurations with great interest. The very nature of the internet and the world as a whole make it very difficult to avoid multi-language sites.

I don't know if our needs are unique or whether there are others who need a similar solution. We are currently running joomla 1.5.10 + acymailing Essential 1.1.1. We are a language school, focussed only on English. However we have users of various different languages. For the content we use joomfish to translate when necessary.

Each month we send out a reading comprehension newsletter, all the articles are English, but graded to different levels. We write the articles in joomla's standard content manager and the covering letter in acymailing and embed the articles into the email.

We would like to be able to create and send a newsletter from single mailing list, but one that offers multi-language options for the content created in acymailing. We need to translate into various languages the covering letter that we send out with the grade readers. One solution is to assign the language in use when the sign up or offer the user the choice of site languages available when they sign up.

Are there plans to permit translation of acymailing content rather than creating multiple mailing lists for each different language?

Thanks
Please log in to post a reply

Re:Multi lingual newsletters 10 years 9 months ago #927

• Anonymous user
  • Thank you received: 2
Are there plans to permit translation of acymailing content rather than creating multiple mailing lists for each different language?
No, we didn't plan to do that, we have some technical issues that I'm afraid we won't be able to overpass.

But I didn't understand why you could not create different mailing lists for each language (you can still propose to the user to subscribe or not to the selected language and display your lists on several languages...?)
I mean even if you have an english list, you can display this lists on your entire website and then your other lists may be only displayed for some languages.

You wanted to give to your user the choice to receive his Newsletter in a certain language. But finally you can give to your user the choice to subscribe to different mailing lists... it's almost the same thing, isn't it?

PS : I may need some English lessons... :)
Please have a look at our official documentation before posting a new message!

If you use AcyMailing, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Re:Multi lingual newsletters 10 years 9 months ago #948

• Anonymous user
Hi John,

there is no reason why we can't implement your suggest. In fact if the whole content of the newsletter were to be sent out in the different languages I think you solution appropriate. However, in the newsletter we send out, it is only the introduction that changes language. The linked article content is all in English. So if we send the newsletter out in 5 languages, that means we must maintain 5 separate lists, with most of the content duplicated. It seems a little inefficient.

I think we imagined that, in combination with joomfish, it would be possible to translate any content we wrote in acymailing before sending it out. Acymailing would then choose the correct language content as specified by the user.

Anyway it there are serious technical issues to doing so we will test with the different mailing lists per language and see how it works.

While writing a question has come into mind. Currently out default frontend language is English, with joomfish handling the translation of content and menus in to other languages. We follow your suggestion and set up language specific mailing lists, e.g. English, Spanish, French. We write the Spanish version, any text we type into the Acymailing part is in Spanish, obviously. However it we insert an article using the tags from com_content, which is in English but translated into Spanish with Joomfish, when we send out the email does Acymailing insert the English text or will take the Spanish translation for Joomfish?

Thanks, James

Re:Multi lingual newsletters 10 years 9 months ago #956

• Anonymous user
  • Thank you received: 2
When inserting a Joomla content via our tag system, AcyMailing gives you the choice to insert the version you want.
Simply select the language you want in our tag system and insert your tag so AcyMailing will replace your tag by the correct content.

Don't you see the language dropdown at the top of the article selection?
Please have a look at our official documentation before posting a new message!

If you use AcyMailing, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds