info

Dear guests,
You are currently on the old forum we kept as a knowledge base. You will find the new community forum here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Why are new users not automatically "enabled"?

[SOLVED] Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1321

• Anonymous user
First of all let me say that this joomla extension is pretty much what I was looking for. The only missing feature was the lack of ability to create custom user fields, and I got round this by installing Community Builder and using custom fields from there.

However, I've run into a bit of a problem when adding new users to AcyMailing. In particular, when reviewing the users in the User Manager, new registrations do not seem to have the "enabled" flag set, so follow-up messages to be sent by the autoresponder will not send and get stuck with the error message "User "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." is not approved => Next try in 15 minutes. Once the "enabled" flag is ticked in the User Manager, the messages fire off as expected.

Bit of background:

I'm running Joomla with Community Builder (mainly as a way of being able to add custom fields to newsletters, Autoresponder messages etc). New users are added via a CB registration form, a confirmation message is sent, but when that link is clicked there's a similar message on screen that says "The User "This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it." is not approved" although they're then listed in Joomla's, CB's and AcyMailing's user lists.

The confirmation email set up on the subscription configuration tab never gets sent, and I've tried disabling the "Require Confirmation" option but that does not seem to help either.

I'm not sure whether there's some incompatibility between CB and AcyMailing, or have I just not set this up properly?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Tim
Last Edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Anonymous user.
Please log in to post a reply

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1323

• Anonymous user
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello Tim,

When the user is subscribed via CB or Joomla, the AcyMailing integration won't send its own confirmation message as Joomla or CB does it so we didn't want to send two confirmation e-mails.
But then if the user clicks on the confirmation link, his account will be confirmed in AcyMailing too.

AcyMailing also takes the CB value "approved" to fill the AcyMailing field "enabled".
So if the user is not approved on CB, we consider the user is disabled on AcyMailing and will only be enabled if he gets approved on CB.

Maybe the only thing you should do is to automatically approve the user when he registers via CB? (there is an option for that in CB)
So the user will also be enabled in AcyMailing and as soon as he will click on the confirmation link sent by CB, the follow-up campaign will start.
Please have a look at our official documentation before posting a new message!

If you use AcyMailing, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
Last Edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Anonymous user.

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1328

• Anonymous user
Hello once again - and thanks for your swift reply!

I've had a look at the CB users and they are all "approved" so it would seem that the approval in CB isn't getting through to AcyMailing. So still not any closer then, I'm afraid!

At the moment, I'm still stuck with the prospect of having to manually enable each new user. Sure, this could be done with a cron job using either mysql or a php script, but that seems a bit cumbersome and it's obviously not working as designed. Whether that's my fault for misconfiguring something while I've been fiddling around with it, or whether there's some strange combination of circumstances that have produced that effect I don't know.

Regards
Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1337

• Anonymous user
Hello Tim,

Do you approve manually your users or they get approved automatically?
(that way I will know if the fact you approve your users in CB does not enable it in AcyMailing or the auto approval in CB does not have effect to AcyMailing)

Your bug report is very clear and if there is any issue in the CB plugin, that will be fixed asap.

If you use AcyMailing, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory.

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1345

• Anonymous user
Users are approved automatically when they click the "confirmation" link in their email.

This is a bit too complex for me - I have no programming background, and there are three components that might be causing the issue. If in a standard setup the import from CB/Joomla users table seems to work, Maybe it's a timing issue - if the AcyMailing user table is updated *before* the CB one, then it might miss the update to "approved" in CB?

In the meantime, I've added some code to cron.php to enable users in AcyMailing automatically, and that seems to work, but it's not really satisfactory as a user who has dis-enabled himself could be re-enabled by my kludge.

Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1349

• Anonymous user
if the AcyMailing user table is updated *before* the CB one, then it might miss the update to "approved" in CB?
Indeed, that's probably the issue, the approved field is updated after AcyMailing is triggered and so we don't update it properly.

Anyway, I just forwarded your clear bug report to the dev team and will let you know when it's fixed.

Re:Why are new users not automatically "enabled"? 10 years 10 months ago #1355

• Anonymous user
Thanks for your help. Like I said in my opening post, I am very impressed by this piece of software - it's just what I needed at competitive price.

If you need any more detail from me please don't hesitate to ask.

Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 10 months ago #1365

• Anonymous user
OK, so an update on my work-around. I created an extra field in the acymailing_subscriber table called 'newuser' with default value of '1', modified the cron.php to update the 'enabled' field to '1' and change the (new) 'newuser' field to '0'.

Crontab is triggered every 15 minutes, so the only way that a user-amended 'enabled' field will be reversed is if the user cancels all messages from the web interface within that 15 minute time slot.

As I said earlier, it's a bit of a kludge, but at least it'll work while you address the bug at your end. It might just help anyone else with the same problem.

BTW, what command does your cron tab run to trigger mail handling? I was thinking of just running it on host as it would reduce dependency on an external machine.

Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 10 months ago #1366

• Anonymous user
OK, so an update on my work-around. I created an extra field in the acymailing_subscriber table called 'newuser' with default value of '1', modified the cron.php to update the 'enabled' field to '1' and change the (new) 'newuser' field to '0'.

Crontab is triggered every 15 minutes, so the only way that a user-amended 'enabled' field will be reversed is if the user cancels all messages from the web interface within that 15 minute time slot.

As I said earlier, it's a bit of a kludge, but at least it'll work while you address the bug at your end. It might just help anyone else with the same problem.

BTW, what command does your cron tab run to trigger mail handling? I was thinking of just running it on host as it would reduce dependency on an external machine.

Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 10 months ago #1370

• Anonymous user
Hi,

If you go in your configuration page, under the cron tab, you should see the url which is triggered. You can create your own cron task on your server by using the command wget to request this page with the frequency you need. For example:
www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-fetch-a-ur...rl-or-wget-silently/

Regards,

Robert
With HikaShop, create your online Joomla shop easily.

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 10 months ago #1378

• Anonymous user
Yes, I thought you might be using wget - was just wondering if there was anything else apart from the url and '-q' setting. Seemingly not!

Thanks
Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 9 months ago #1531

• Anonymous user
All our apologies for the delay.
We just fixed the issue on the CB Plugin that you can download from this website.
The user will now get approved automatically in AcyMailing during his CB confirmation if necessary.

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 9 months ago #1532

• Anonymous user
Sounds good to me - is it a case of re-downloading the CB plugin and installing that instead of the old one?

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 9 months ago #1533

• Anonymous user
Yes, exactly.

You can uninstall the old one and then reinstall the new downloaded one.

OR

You can extract the package and copy/paste the files in the folder components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_acymailingcbplugin

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 9 months ago #1534

• Anonymous user
Thanks - will give it a try a little later!
Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 9 months ago #1535

• Anonymous user
OK, so I couldn't resist and tried it out straight away. Works just like it should!

I'm impressed with your helpfulness responsiveness to bug reports - I'm merely an amateur when it comes to programming and web design, but I won't hesitate to recommend you if the opportunity arises!

Regards
Tim

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 8 months ago #3021

• Anonymous user
Hello,

I just installed the new 1.1.3 version and the cb plugin. Before the update I experienced the same "enabled flaw" as harrisonland did. But in addition I now see the unexpected behaviour occurs during the csv import as well. Out of 1000 addresses around 20 did show up as "not enabled". I double checked the csv source but everything was just fine.

So I conclude, there might still be an issue with that column.

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 8 months ago #3022

• Anonymous user
During the import, the existing subscribers are not overwritten so maybe your 20 non-enabled users were already disabled before importing them?

About the enable field, we used to have an issue with our CB plugin but it should be solved if you use the latest version of our CB Plugin.

Could you please confirm me you are using the latest version of our CB Plugin?
If yes, what configuration are you using in CB? (require confirmation + approval?)

Re:Why are new users not automatically 10 years 8 months ago #3025

• Anonymous user
I imported to an empty list.

Yes, using the latest version of our CB Plugin, downloaded it yesterday.

Setup: require confirmation + no approval

Right now for me it works with only a few users disabled as I easily can enable them by hand. I just thought to give you a hint that there might be a flaw in the system.

Thanks.
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds