info

Dear guests,
You are currently on the old forum we kept as a knowledge base. You will find the new community forum here
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Keyword
Please report any bugs or errors here.

TOPIC: GSM Character Set

GSM Character Set 7 years 9 months ago #44729

• Anonymous user
Hi,

when i add a mutated vowel "äüö" in a message, the length change from 160 characters to 70. I think this should be a feature but im sure (you can read all about in the .pdf i added on the other post) that german provider uses the "GSM Character Set" and so the sms length should be still 160 characters long.

by the way I think the link under this comment is also a bug? I don't see a way to upload this file?
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\umlaute.png[/attachment]

thx
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Anonymous user.
Please log in to post a reply

Re: GSM Character Set 7 years 9 months ago #44748

• Anonymous user
Hi,

The way the length is calculated depends on the gateway.
We implemented the most used method (which is to set the message length to 70 as soon as there is a special char in the message).
But you're right, I guess we should calculate it based on the selected gateway.

About your picture, just press "add file" and don't both adding it in the message, it will be done automatically anyway.
Please have a look at our official documentation before posting a new message!

Do you like AcyMailing? We love your reviews!
We would appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to post a review on the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
We answered one of your question? Well, it's the best way to thank us!

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 4 months ago #70304

• Anonymous user
In my case, i try to send this messege :

"SMS MDS: MDS continue d'être le fournisseur de PM. La famille demeure actionnaire des Moulins de Soulanges. MDS ne fait pas partie de la transaction de Metro".

So the SMS is sended split in 3 parts. The problem is this character : "ê". If I remove it. The sms is sended in 1 part.

Any explanation ?
The provider is Twilio

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 4 months ago #70331

• Alexandre
Hello,

The character "ê" is a special char which is only available in unicode. That's why the message is split in 3 parts.
If the message needs to be sent in unicode the maximum number of characters changes from 160 to 70.

Here your message is 157 characters long so it is sent in 3 parts (70chars + 70chars + 17chars)

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 4 months ago #70388

• Anonymous user
In the beginning I think the problem came from my provider gateway (Twilio).
www.twilio.com/docs/api/rest/sending-messages

But, the maximum of characters with Twilio is 1600.

Any solution to upgrade more than 70 characters with acySMS with a new routine and/or over pass the limit of 70 chars when it's a unicode chars?

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 4 months ago #70432

• Alexandre
Hi,

The unicode characters can't be sent using another way than in unicode. For example if you use your own phone number to send SMS and if the message contains characters like "ê" the message will be sent in unicode (70 characters for one "part").

I'm afraid there is no solution for this. The only one solution is to remove this character or replace it by "e". If so the SMS will have a maximum size of 160 characters per "part" and won't be split.
However if this characters is present the SMS will be split into 3 "parts" to be well received and to be sent in unicode.

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 3 months ago #70689

• Anonymous user
Bonjour Alexandre,

With AsySMS, I can use160 characters maximum. With Twilio's gateway, the limit is 1600 characters.

QUESTION
Is it posible to change YOUR limit 160 characters by the limit of Twilio please ?

Regards

Re: GSM Character Set 6 years 3 months ago #70696

• Alexandre
Hi,

I'm afraid we currently don't have any limitation about the message max size using Twilio.
Could you please tell me which error is displayed when you try to send SMS longer than 160 characters ?
Do you receive them ?

If not could you please send me your Twilio account informations at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with the subject "Twilio SMS lenght" ?
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds