What's new? What to do?
A new Canada act will begin to take effect on July 1, 2014 to protect Canadians from receiving non-solicited emails.
To be compliant with this act, you should:
- Turn ON the double opt-in option via the AcyMailing configuration page.
That's the best way to protect yourself and prove that the user agreed to receive messages from you.
Acy saves this information on the user profile (subscription date and IP, confirmation date and IP) so if someone asks you this information, you can easily export it.
- Do not automatically subscribe users to your lists.
If you integrated Acy with your registration form or your contact form, then display a checkbox so they can really opt-in and keep that checkbox unchecked by default!
A Yes/No radio button with the default option set to "No" will do the job as well.
A subscription form which is only there to subscribe to your Newsletter don't need an additional checkbox, as long as you don't trick the user and he can't misunderstand that he will be subscribed to your mailing list then you're all good.
- Always include an unsubscribe link in your emails so your users can easily opt-out.
What about your existing users?
Well, you need to make sure they agree to receive your emails before July, 1st.
If you already had the double opt-in option enabled and your users explicitly subscribed to your Newsletter then no need to confirm them again.
If you don't, then you should start now to ask a confirmation to your existing users.
If you have time...
July 1st is far? You have some time and could separate your list of subscribers into three groups : Yes / No / No reply
- Turn ON the double opt-in option on the Acy configuration page (so at least all your users from now on will need to confirm their subscription) and make sure these new users are subscribed to a new list as we will have to manage your old users differently
- Access the mass actions system and mass confirm your old users
- Create two new lists, let's call them "Yes" and "No"
- Send a Newsletter to your old users and include two links in your Newsletter... one to enable them to subscribe to your "Yes" list and the other to let them subscribe to your "No" list.
We will use the subscription via url for that. You can create a special redirect url to thank the user or to say goodbye...
Each user receiving your Newsletter will then be able to decide if they still want to be subscribed to your list ("Yes" list) or if they prefer to not receive emails from you any more ("No" list).
We recommend you to include this message in your regular Newsletter... and just before July 1st, send a special message only to those who are not subscribed to your "Yes" or "No" list so they can decide to stay in your list or not.
You will certainly have many users who didn't reply at all... they won't be in your "Yes" or "No" list.
You can send them a last alarmist message asking them an answer but unfortunately if they still don't answer, you won't be allowed to send them emails any more.
In a hurry? Just send your confirmation email again
July 1st is almost there? Well just resend your confirmation email...
- Turn ON the "require confirmation" option on the Acy configuration page
- Use our mass actions/filters system to mass unconfirm your users (that's optional, that's only if you want to re-confirm them all!)
- Use our mass actions/filters system to send your confirmation email again